Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Danish Delicacies

Fresh bread, cheeses galore, amazing fish and meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, oh, and the desserts . . . the list goes on. I don't think I ever posted a blog about the wonderful food we had on our Scandinavia adventure this past summer. Now that just returned from Denmark I must tell you about the wonderful food I had there! If only I'd taken pictures of every bit of food I ate while I was there. . . I would have been taking pictures the whole time but I wish I had them to share!

Instead of having the pictures you have to use your imagination. It's still cold outside, there's ice on the the beach just across the road, but when you walk into breakfast at the hotel there are fresh tulips on every table, the room is filled with very modern Scandinavian decor, and there is more food than the eyes can take in.

Coffee and tea of course, 4 types of juice and a freshly made blackberry smoothie, sliced meats, hot meats, fresh bread to slice yourself (still slightly warm to the touch), eggs of all kinds, freshly sliced fruits and vegetables. Yogurts with granola, dried fruit, cereal flakes, honey and brown sugar as toppings. Oh yum!

After getting your first plate or two you sit down and enjoy this amazing feast overlooking the water with views of Sweden on the opposite shore. And this is just breakfast?

Every day I was there started this way, followed by wonderful "snacks" throughout our conference including the BEST macaroons I've ever had, crossiants, berry coffee cake . . . is your mouth watering yet?

Lunch was usually another buffet style spread with many choices, salads, fresh salmon (caught that morning), more breads, fruits and cheeses of course, the options seemed endless.

Dinner was a sit down meal and never included the ridiculously large portions we're so used to being served in the US, but we were NEVER hungry. It was always a perfectly plated, well balanced meal beginning with a small salad and then a meat and vegetable course. There were always options for vegetarians, or those of us who were pregnant and couldn't eat the fish.

The picture below is how my food experience started in Denmark. In a very delirious state after traveling for over 24 hours I went to the hotel cafe as I waited for my room to be available and was served this with a side of fresh bread slices of course.



Freshly made Tomato Gazpacho from the hotel cafe. Delicious! I would love to try to recreate it this summer, it would be a great meal on a hot summer evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment