Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hard Boiled Eggs

Hard boiled eggs you say? Yes! I doubt I'm the only one who has hard boiled eggs before and gotten so frustrated peeling them as chunk after chunk of egg stays on the shell, that I end up taking brownies instead of deviled eggs to the cookout they were for.

Well, this post is a tribute to my brother-in-law Michael who gets all the credit for making my life of hard boiling eggs a lot easier!!! So here's the trick . . .

In a large pot bring water to a boil. Gently add eggs. Boil eggs for 12 minutes (cooking time may very slightly depending on how many eggs you have, I usually cook 6). While the eggs are cooking make an "ice bath" in a large bowl (simply fill a large bowl with ice and water). After 12 minutes, drain the water and rinse the eggs twice with cold tap water. Then place them all gently into the ice bath and let them sit until cooled. Once cooled take out of ice bath and peel. You will have perfectly cooked, easy to peel hard boiled eggs . . . and will be much more willing to volunteer bringing deviled eggs to your upcoming holiday cookout!



On a side note, we recently began getting farm yummy fresh eggs from a guy Mark works with and no longer have to buy them at the grocery store! :-) As much as I couldn't stand our chickens growing up I never imagined being so happy to not have to buy eggs from the store.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try that technique-I always have trouble peeling them!

    ReplyDelete